Thursday, November 24, 2016

Things I'm Thankful For


Being Thankful   


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with Thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

-Philippians 4:6-7


Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays of the year. I love being surrounded by family and friends, stuffed full of foods that we wait all year long to eat, watching football, and of course celebrating what we are thankful for. These past few weeks it has been hard to focus on the what I am thankful for as I have been surrounded by so much loss. I recently lost a close colleague, friend and brother of mine to an unexpected accident and tragedy. It has been hard not to see his smiling face every morning like I have each and everyday for the past nine years. He was one of the first people I told that I was expecting baby girl and one who I shared our diagnosis with in tears. He called himself "Uncle" to our baby girl and could not wait for her arrival.  It breaks my heart that he will not be able to come by the house and meet our precious baby girl when she is born but I know he is in a better place, watching over us and heaven has gained yet another special angel.
It is always a struggle to stay positive and focus on what we are thankful for when we are surrounded by so much darkness and loss. I have several close friends that are struggling with infertility, inability to conceive, and unfortunately miscarriage. Although it is hard to cope with our diagnosis, it is even more difficult to understand why these unfair and horrible losses are happening to such strong and faithful women.  It makes you think why us? What have we done wrong?
The truth is I do not even come close to knowing the answer to these questions. It has been impossible to find the positive in all the negatives and the light when surrounded by the darkness. There are things that we will not understand in this life and I for one, will never have all of the answers. There will be times that we will be disappointed, let down, or even hurt. But what I do know is that you cannot let the darkness intercept your mind and instill fear, doubt, or worry. There is great joy and salvation in the shadows if you know where to look.  So look to Christ Jesus.  Guard your heart and minds in Christ, and he will show you the way.
Choose to give thanks to God not just today, but in everything you do. Thanksgiving can be a time of praise to focus on all the joys in life. I am thankful for being surrounded today by family, friends, and loved ones. I am thankful that God has blessed me with a loving and patient husband and that he has given us a roof over our heads and provided food for us to enjoy today and everyday.  I am thankful for the miracle growing inside of me and for love which grows in my heart every time I feel our precious baby girl move.  I am thankful for the outpouring love and support Tim and I have received during this diagnosis and for the team of doctors God has placed in our lives.

Each day we are given is truly a blessing and for that I am thankful. So I ask, What are you thankful for today?

Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, Father, I thank you that you have heard me.

-John 11:41




No comments:

Post a Comment